Sunday, December 25, 2022

Migrating to Substack

Merry Christmas and best wishes to all!

I recently posted a few blog posts on Substack just to see how it works and looks. I simply pasted a couple of new Gulfcoastcommentary Blogger posts at the new Substack URL and it looked fine.

The new link is:  

https://gulfcoastcommentary.substack.com/

I like the prospect of posting on a site known for freedom of expression and I've had concerns about being "cancelled" by Google blogger.  Having posted on Blogger since 2012, you can image my fear that I might one day check my site and find that it's entirely gone or deleted based on the whim of some know-nothing 25 year old sitting in Palo Alto, Crazyland.

Then last night, I was clicking around the Substack site and noticed an option called "Import your blog."  I clicked it and it asked for my blog URL which I entered. It said that I had 1,126 posts ready to import.  At that point, I paused thinking about how it will handle links, images, etc.  

To make a long story short, it imported all of my Blogger posts in less than 20 seconds, and after a few cursory checks, I can see that all links and images are included in the Substack version and that the posts look ready to go.  

The new link is:  

https://gulfcoastcommentary.substack.com/

All of my imported post's hyperlinks at Substack are exactly correct, but that means that links to other Gulfcoastcommentary posts are still for the Blogger address--not Substack.  That's fine for now. Each link works and opens to the familiar and current blogspot post correctly.  

On Substack, I'm looking for a way to globally "find and replace" any link to my own blog to refer to the new Substack location.  So far, It doesn't look promising, but all the links work and my history at Google Blogger remains and will remain for the foreseeable future. For awhile, I might continue to post at both locations with a gentle reminder that I've migrated to the new location. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your message or comments. Thanks in advance.